Progression Through Assessment of Musculoskeletal Health
This course provides a deeper understanding of the GravityFit Exercise Model (following on from the Level 1 course) and in particular explains the Core Body Benchmark as an effective assessment of musculo-skeletal health and for measuring and monitoring the function of the deep postural Anti-Gravity muscle system. The online Core Body Benchmark tool is also reviewed for assessment and prescription of particular exercise programs depending on Core Body Benchmark outcomes.
The GravityFit Science Base is provided to participants as pre-reading for the course. The Science Base outlines and explains the key areas of research behind the GravityFit Exercise Model and Core Body Benchmark:
- Evolution of Bipedalism – how the body has developed in upright posture to protect our joints (especially our intervertebral discs) from injuries.
- Gravitational Physiology – how ‘unloading’ the body (or parts) reduces Gravitational Load Cues (Gravity Sensory Information) to the joints resulting in ‘muscle imbalance’.
- Human Space Research – how the Anti-Gravity Body Framework is weakened in zero Gravity (microgravity) leading to musculoskeletal problems.
- Bone and Joint Health – how Gravity affects our health on Earth and how muscle balance and the Anti-Gravity Body framework can be restored.
The Level 2 ‘Core Body Benchmark’ course introduces to Physical Therapists and other musculo-skeletal specialists a new method of assessment which measures the ‘strength’ of the Anti-Gravity Body Framework through 7 progressive levels of exercise tests for the Lumbar Core and 7 progressive levels of exercise tests for the Thoracic Core.
Participants will develop an understanding of:
- how to assess the strength of the 3 natural spinal curves in terms of stability and control of separate sets of Anti-Gravity Postural muscles forming the three spinal muscle corsets
- the standardised, progressive increases in biomechanical exercise loads required to quantify the ‘strength’ of the Anti-Gravity Body Framework (for both the Lumbar Core and Thoracic Core)
- the unique Core Body Benchmark online tool for measuring, recording and reporting assessments
- prescribing exercises to clients based on particular Core Body Benchmark assessments
The Core Body Benchmark is used to more accurately assess musculo-skeletal function and to prescribe therapeutic exercise to clients based on the assessment (once initial symptoms are relieved). Testing can be used to assess progression of ‘wellness’ scores and report to the client as required.
Core Body Benchmark testing would be appropriate upon discharge from outpatient services, where remedial home programs and lifestyle changes should be prescribed to maintain optimal bone and joint health. This testing procedure is also important for the general population to assess levels of spinal health and risk of injury for Occupational Health, Women’s health (especially after childbirth) and for injury prevention in athletes.
This second level course is for those practitioners who want a better, deeper understanding of the GravityFit Exercise Model, measuring and monitoring the Lumbar Core and Thoracic Core using the online assessment tool and prescribing specific exercise programs based on the measurement outcome to progressively strengthen the Body Framework. Course registration includes a 12 month subscription to the online Core Body Benchmark tool.
On completion of this Level 2 course, participants are eligible to become accredited Core Body Benchmark Assessors (and listed on the GravityFit website). To become accredited, an online assessment is to be successfully completed 3-6 months after the course on use of the Core Body Benchmark.
- Learn about the new Core Body Benchmark assessments, based on the GravityFit Exercise Model, to measure the ‘strength’ of the Anti-Gravity Body Framework and determine the health of the musculo-skeletal system
- Develop a deeper understanding of the science and research behind the GravityFit Exercise Model and Core Body Benchmark
- Learn how to assess the strength of the 3 natural spinal curves in terms of stability and control of separate sets of Anti-Gravity Postural muscles forming the three spinal muscle corsets
- Develop an understanding of the standardised, progressive increases in biomechanical exercise loads used to quantify the ‘strength’ of the Anti-Gravity Body Framework (for both the Lumbar Core and Thoracic Core)
- Learn how to use, through practical sessions, the GravityFit Exercise Tools in order to accurately standardise the Core Body Benchmark levels
- Learn how to use the unique online assessment tool to measure, record and report Core Body Benchmark assessments
- Learn how to use the online Core Body Benchmark tool to design and prescribe specific exercise programs based on particular assessments to progressively improve the client’s musculoskeletal health
GravityFit LEVEL 2: Core Body Benchmark Assessor consists of PRE-READING (APPROX. 80 PAGES) and a ONE DAY (7.25 hours) COURSE
PRE-READING: The required preliminary reading is the e-book Science Base for the GravityFit Exercise Model (approximately 80 pages) on www.gravityfit.com
8:30: SECTION 1: Overview of science base underpinning the GravityFit Exercise Model and Core Body Benchmark
- Research from the ‘Evolution of Bipedalism’, Gravitational Physiology and Human Space research; link between Core muscles and AKCs; unloading causing neuroplasticity; effects of unloading in microgravity
9:30: SECTION 2: Measuring the Anti-Gravity Body Framework
- Previous measures of lumbo-pelvic stability. Unique aspects of the CBB testing e.g. two sets of exercise testing procedures for (a) the Lumbar Core (levels 1-7) and (b) the Thoracic Core (levels 1-7)
10:45: SECTION 3: Preliminary Checks prior to CBB Testing
- The preliminary checks required before starting on CBB testing and whether clients need specific rehab before CBB testing can begin:
- PRACTICAL 1: Questionnaires to highlight existing problems
- PRACTICAL 2: Checking overall posture/movement problems in standing
- PRACTICAL 3: Specific Wall Tests to determine function of Lumbar Core/ Thoracic Core
12:00: PRACTICAL 4: CBB Testing for Lumbar Core
- In pairs, each participant to perform and record tests for Lumbar Core
2:00: PRACTICAL 5: CBB Testing for Thoracic Core
- In pairs, each participant to perform and record tests for Thoracic Core
3:00: PRACTICAL 6: Use of online CBB tool
- Review of online tool with standardized methodology for performing, recording and reporting of CBB Tests and developing specific exercise programs
3:30: PRACTICAL 7: Exercise prescription based on results
- Developing individual exercise programs based on CBB Tests. Each participant review their CBB assessments and develop a suitable exercise program to improve wellness. These are presented to the group for feedback.
**PLEASE NOTE: The successful completion of GravityFit LEVEL 1: The Gravity Model for Axial Spinal Strength is a pre-requisite to attend this LEVEL 2 course.**